Your time can have a meaningful impact on the lives of seniors living in long-term care in your community. Middlesex Terrace has a variety of volunteer opportunities for people with different skills and interests. Please contact Charlene Hillen, Director of Programs and Support Services if you are interested in Volunteering with us!
The following is a sample list of programs where volunteers play an essential role. Volunteer opportunities at Middlesex Terrace are endless, however, and new ideas are always welcome.
- Special Events: Volunteers assist with the set-up, implementation and clean-up of various special events such as our Halloween party, entertainment, sweethearts dinner, welcome lunch, etc.
- Bingo: Bingo is weekly, and Volunteers assist residents to locate and mark the numbers called.
- Nail Care: Residents enjoy having their nails done weekly. Volunteers help by filing nails, removing old nail polish and putting on a fresh coat of polish.
- Birthday Parties: Volunteers assist with set-up and clean up of the program, as well as assisting with serving the birthday cake, tea and coffee to residents.
- Crafts: Residents complete simple craft projects, painting, glueing, etc. One-to-one attention and assistance is needed. No craft experience is necessary.
- Outings: Residents go on various outings, from shopping trips to enjoying ice cream. Assistance is needed for portering residents through the shopping malls and assisting them on and off the bus.
- Sing Song: Volunteers assist with leading residents in songs and turning pages in song books.
- Meal Program: Several times a month ten different residents are invited to attend a special dinner. Volunteers assist with serving residents dinner and help to set up and clean up the meal area.
- One-to-One Visits: Residents really enjoy a one-to-one visit. Whether you do their nails, read them a book, or just sit and chat, it means a lot to them. If you are interested in this program, you can be matched with a particular resident or visit a variety of residents.
- Outdoor Walks: Volunteers can help porter residents and serve beverages as well as visit with the residents on the patio while enjoying the beautiful weather.
The Family Council at Middlesex Terrace is a welcoming, supportive hand and ear for families of residents.
The Council encourages and promotes open communication between family, residents and staff members. It also educates families by providing speakers and materials on topics of interest.
Back to top